Terk Technology HDTVi VHF/UHF HDTV Indoor Antenna:reviews

This antenna is made for people who are within 35 miles (or have a very clear shot) of the TV station transmitters. If you could not receive standard definition stations well with a rabbit ear anntenna before, then using this Terk antenna won't help you much for off the air HDTV. Further, it is not going to pull in signals that are obstructed by large buildings or mountains.


The best way to tell if this antenna will work for you is to goto the antennaweb dot org website and input your address. If the results come back showing you are within 35 miles of your local TV station transmitters it should work well. For me, I can get almost all my local TV stations with this antenna because I am next to the San Francisco Bay and have a clear line of site to the transmitters.

I wouldn't expect this antenna to work as well if I was in a more remote area or in the middle of a city with skyscrapers all around me.

I am quite happy with this Terk antenna since it does what it's supposed to do as long as you understand if you are a candidate for it in the first place. I do not feel the more expensive amplified versions are worth the money because in my experience, you will see little gain with them. If you want something a bit better, I would instead look to an outdoor (preferrably rooftop mounted) antenna. Note that this Terk antenna is larger than it looks in the pictures, which could be a deciding factor for some. In my case, it's worth it even though it's a bit unsightly. But when I have guests over and won't be watching off the air HDTV, I put the antenna away so my living room looks a bit neater.
By
T. Tom "Mediahound" (SF Bay Area, CA United States)

0 comments: